The following tag was created by Aoife @ Fred Weasely Died Laughing! Please go check out her awesome youtube video here!
To those who celebrate it…
Merry Christmas Eve!
In honour of this very joyous holiday, I decided to compile a list of some books to use for the “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas Book Tag”!
Let’s just dive right in!
1. “’Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse”: A book that kept you up so late, everyone else was asleep.
Ooh, definitely Sadie by Courtney Summers! I distinctly remember getting yelled at by my older sister to “put down the stupid book and get to bed”! Being the wicked creature that I am, I did not listen. Rest assured that I got a very long lecture from my mother the next morning!
2. “And Mama in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap, had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap”: A book that made you fall asleep.
It pains me to say this, but… Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.
In reality, I’m sure it’s a splendid book, but my brain is just not wired to consume non-fiction LOL ):
3. “When out on the roof there arose such a clatter,I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter”: A book that made your heart race!
There’s honestly so many, but I have to go with Legend by Marie Lu! It can’t be denied that Lu writes some of the most deliciously devourable action scenes!
4. “When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer”: A truly magical book.
Geekerella by Ashley Poston! This book was so cute, adorable, sweet, and MAGICAL! Definitely one of my favourite novels of the year. If you haven’t read it, GO DO SO NOW BECAUSE YOU ARE MISSING OUT!
5. “With a little old driver, so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick”: A twinkle-eyed book character that made you happy.
Kenji from the Shatter Me series! He literally makes the series worth reading and deserves way more love and appreciation than he gets. Step out of the way Adam, Warner, and Juliette, cause no one cares about you! Make way for Kenji!
6. “So up to the house-top the coursers they flew, with the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too”: A book that made you fly to another land.
Caraval by Stephanie Garber! When reading this glorious novel, I was quite literally transported to the magical circus-like place where Caraval was held! It’s amazing how vividly I can imagine the places Julian and Scarlett went to just by reading Garber’s wonderful writing!
7. “And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof, the prancing and pawing of each little hoof”: A book creature you love.
Abraxos from the Throne of Glass series! Honestly, Abraxos is kind of like Kenji: He creates a spark of beauty, glory, and inspiration amongst a cast that (for the most part) consists of cocky, self-entitled, rude, wannabes (Except for you, Chaol, my baby).
8. “He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot, and his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot”: A character that proves to more than his /her/their first impression.
Lucien from the ACOTAR books! In the first instalment of the series, I really didn’t think much of him. I mean, he was cool and all, but my attention was mainly on Tamlin and Feyre at the time. But in the next two books, we got to see SO MUCH MORE of Lucien and got to know his amazing character SO MUCH BETTER. For that, Sarah J. Maas, I will be forever grateful. BUT WHY DID YOU BASICALLY ELIMINATE LUCIEN FROM ACOFAS?!?!?!? WHYYYYYYYYYYY?
9. “He had a broad face and a little round belly, that shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly” A book that made you laugh.
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl! I’m amazed at how Jesse Andrews was able to tackle such a serious topic in such a hilarious way (I know that that makes me sound like a horrible person but JUST READ THE BOOK AND YOU’LL SEE)!!
10. “A wink of his eye and a twist of his head, soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread”: A book that makes you feel safe.
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Miss Becky Albertalli! This is just one of those books that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside! I’d definitely recommend it if you are looking for a light, adorable read to help you destress!
11. “He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work, and filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk”: A book that put you to work (a book that you felt you really needed to concentrate on).
This is a tough one. But I think I’m going to have to go with Seven Ways We Lie by Riley Redgate. There were just so many individual plotlines and characters that I had to focus on, so reading it actually ended up being quite hard on my brain!
12. “Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”: A book with a magnificent ending.
Ahhh, another difficult prompt!
Kingdom of Ash from the Throne of Glass series, I suppose! I’m not a mega-fan of the ToG books or anything, and I didn’t even enjoy KoA that much, but you can’t deny that after six books of build-up and tension, the ending of this series’ final instalment was absolutely breathtaking!
And… That’s a wrap!
I am wishing you all a very merry Christmas and very happy holidays! If you celebrate it, let me know if you have any plans for Christmas Eve/Day! See you next time!